Contempt of Court Attorney

Philip Goldberg PC works with clients in all aspects of family law, including contempt
proceedings. If your ex-spouse or child’s other parent has violated a court order regarding property transfer, maintenance, parenting time, child support, or any other issue, they may be in contempt of court.

We represent clients who desire to institute contempt proceedings against an ex-spouse or their child’s other parent. We also represent clients who have been served with a contempt citation.

Our experienced legal team works to protect your rights and achieve positive outcomes for you and your family.

What Is Contempt of Court in Colorado?

A person may be in contempt if they fail to comply with the terms of a court order. A court can hold someone in contempt of court when that person violates a court order. The person impacted by the failure to comply may initiate a contempt proceeding with the courts.

The courts will determine whether the violation was willful or not. If it was willful, the court could impose sanctions on the party responsible for violating the court order. These sanctions could include fines, jail time, or both.

Contact the law office of Philip Goldberg PC to schedule a consultation regarding your family law issue.

The Process for Filing for Contempt in Family Law

Colorado law allows impacted parties to file a Motion for Citation for Contempt of Court if they have a court order for spousal maintenance or child support and the paying party fails to comply with the order.

Filing a motion for contempt can lead to a costly and challenging case. It’s vital to understand your options and potential outcomes before you proceed.

Contact the law firm of Philip Goldberg PC to discuss your case.

What Are Grounds to Initiate Contempt Proceedings?

There are many reasons why a person might be held in contempt of court. Some examples include:

  • Failure to pay child support as ordered by the court;

  • Failure to provide health insurance coverage for children as ordered by the court (or failure to pay premiums);
  • Refusal to allow visitation with children as ordered by the judge;
  • Failure to return children as ordered by the judge;
  • Failure to obey a restraining order;
  • Failure to maintain a residence as required under a divorce decree;

  • Failure to pay spousal maintenance as ordered by the court;

  • Or any other failure to follow a court order.

We are happy to talk with you regarding your specific issue and the requirements of court orders related to you.

Philip Goldberg PC

Contact Philip Goldberg PC

Request an appointment to discuss your family law needs.

Request Appointment

Willful Versus Non-Willful Contempt

Willful contempt means that the person knew what was required by the court order but intentionally did not do it. For example, if a parent knowingly does not pay their child support obligation as ordered by the court.

Non-willful contempt means that the individual did not know what was required or did not intentionally violate the order. For example, if the person pays child support through an automatic bank withdrawal and an error occurs, the person may not realize the payment did not go through.

The court typically imposes harsher consequences for willful contempt versus non-willful errors.

Potential Consequences for Contempt of Court

If a person is found in contempt of court, there are several possible consequences. The court often must allow the contemnor to “purge” the contempt and bring themselves into compliance with the court’s order. Depending on the severity of the offense, the court could impose a fine, incarceration, or both. In some cases, the court may order the contemnor to pay the other party’s attorney fees.

The court may even modify parenting responsibilities to reflect a continued failure to comply in some cases. The court takes issues of contempt seriously. If you face a contempt motion, seek legal guidance.

Contact the law firm Philip Goldberg PC today to discuss how we can help protect your rights and freedom.

How A Family Law Attorney Can Help with Contempt of Court

A family law attorney can assist you in filing a motion for contempt of court. We can also advise you about the process and potential consequences associated with such motions.

Initiating contempt proceedings may or may not give the results you desire. We help you understand the risks involved before you move forward. 

Whether you face contempt of court or wish to pursue a motion, we support you. We have experience handling all aspects of family law. This expertise gives us the knowledge to navigate the complex circumstances involved in contempt cases. 

Contempt Proceedings FAQs

Any order issued by a court is subject to contempt of court. Examples include:

  • Divorce Decree – Any provision of a divorce decree that requires compliance with the decree’s terms.
  • Child Support Order – Any provision of a child support order requiring compliance with the order’s requirements.
  • Spousal Maintenance Order – Any provision of an order for spousal maintenance which requires compliance with the order.
  • Restraining Order – Any provision of any restraining order that requires compliance with that order’s conditions.
  • Temporary Custody Order – Any provision of temporary custody order which requires compliance with its provisions.
  • Permanent Custody Order – Any portion of a permanent custody order which requires compliance.
  • Modification of Child Support Order – Any modification of a child support order which requires compliance.
  • Modification of Spousal Maintenance Order – Any modification of a spousal maintenance order which requires compliance.

Find the support you need in contempt of court cases at Philip Goldberg PC.

Violations of child custody orders impact the parents and children negatively. Colorado law takes these violations seriously, and you have a right to seek remedy to the situation. One option is to file a Motion for Citation for Contempt of Court.

We are happy to discuss your legal options for violations of child custody. Contact us today to discuss your case.

Yes! It’s essential to work with a lawyer when facing or to pursue contempt of court charges. You want to ensure you understand the law, your rights, and the potential outcomes.

We work with clients on contempt of court cases in Colorado.

Denver Experienced Family Law Attorney

Philip Goldberg PC is an expert family law attorney serving clients in Denver and other Front Range communities. He has an extensive understanding of Colorado family law. He works with clients throughout the divorce process, including follow-up issues like contempt proceedings.

Contact our law firm today to schedule a consultation.